Flickr: Zeinab Mohamed/CC
The private beach of Al-Alamein Hotel, Sidi Abdel Rahman, North Coast, 2014.

El-Sisi orders guaranteed public access to beaches after complaints

Mohamed Ibrahim
Published Tuesday, August 11, 2026 - 11:17

President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi ordered the government to form a committee to ensure public access to beaches, and bar unauthorized construction within 200 meters of the shoreline. The move followed repeated complaints and reports to the presidency since the start of the summer season about difficulties accessing public beaches, especially for low- and middle-income Egyptians, a Cabinet source told Al Manassa.

During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly and Finance Minister Ahmed Kouchouk in New Alamein on Monday, El-Sisi stressed the need for “strict” enforcement of laws and presidential decrees governing the use of land designated for tourism along Egypt’s coasts.

Recent years have seen repeated debate over access to public beaches and rising entry fees at many of them, especially in Alexandria, the North Coast, and Matrouh, alongside calls from citizens, lawmakers, and experts to guarantee public access to beaches and ensure the coastline is not reserved only for those who can afford it.

The committee, made up of relevant state agencies, will inspect conditions on the ground, ensure public access to beaches under applicable regulations, and enforce the ban on construction or other work within 200 meters of the shoreline without prior approval from the relevant authorities.

The Cabinet source, who requested anonymity, said several reports and complaints had been submitted to the presidency about people being unable to access beaches in Alexandria and Matrouh governorates because of high costs and the conversion of large stretches of coastline into private beaches or areas controlled by tourist facilities.

The presidency also received complaints about structures and construction near the shoreline that restricted public access to the sea and public beaches, particularly for low- and middle-income Egyptians, the source said.

The government plans to expand the number of free public beaches in coastal governorates in the coming period while preserving open spaces for the public and barring tourism or other projects from beaches designated for public use, the source added.

The presidential directive does not introduce a new ban but calls for stricter enforcement of existing legislation, particularly the Water Resources and Irrigation Law No. 147 of 2021. Article 87 prohibits construction or other work up to 200 meters inland from the shoreline without approval from the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, which coordinates with the Ministry of Environment to determine how far construction must be set back from the shoreline.

The law provides for at least six months in prison and a fine ranging from 100,000 to 500,000 Egyptian pounds ($2,000 to $10,000), or either penalty, with the punishment doubled for repeat offenses.

Violations involving public access or encroachments on beach protection zones will be documented for possible legal action, as part of a plan to balance tourism development with the public right to use beaches, the source said.